Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Holy Mandilion (Holy Napkin)

Today is the Feast Day of the Holy Mandilion (Aug 16).  I was greatly moved this morning as I read the August 16 entries from The Prologue of Ohrid http://www.westsrbdio.org/prolog/my.html?month=August&day=16&Go.x=18&Go.y=18

King Abgar had written to Christ, asking for His healing for his affliction of leprosy, through which the Lord worked a miracle via the Holy Mandilion, an icon made without hands. 

Along with King Abgar’s request for healing, my heart was especially touched by his invitation to our Lord Jesus Christ before His Passion, offering him shelter in his own city lest he be harmed by His enemies. 

On Full of Grace and Truth blogspot, I found an extensive entry on the Holy Mandilion and encourage everyone to read there.  The information is expansive and a true blessing for anyone who takes the time to peruse the entry.  http://full-of-grace-and-truth.blogspot.com/2010/08/holy-mandylion-napkin-of-christ-not.html

Years ago, I first saw an icon of the Holy Mandilion on the cover of the book Orthodox Dogmatic Theology published by St. Herman Press.  I was deeply moved by its beauty and desired a copy of that same icon.  I will share with you that I now do have a copy of that lovely icon—it revealed itself to me on a shelf at a local thrift store a couple months ago.  I treasure it!


Icon courtesy of Uncut Mountain Supply.com

May we never cease to be amazed by the miracles of Christ our Savior! 
Pres. Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment