Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Preparing for Holy Communion: a prayer to the Theotokos


O Mother of God, who surpasses every mind and word!  O Virgin who exceedest all earthly virginity, for even before the Divine birth was thou a Virgin beyond all virgins—and such didst thou remain both during and after the birth!   

Thee, O Lady do I beg, thee do I entreat, O merciful and man-befriending Mother of the merciful and man-befriending God:  defend me at this hour if ever thou wilt do so, for now am I most in need of thy protection and thy help. 

I am all a mire of filth and sin, a dwelling place of soul-corrupting passions.  Yet I intend to approach the all-pure and terrifying Mysteries of thy Son and God, and therefore do I suffer fear, and trembling embraces me because of the unbearable multitude of my sins. 

But if ever I am to remain without communion on the pretext of my unworthiness, then shall I fall into a great abyss of evil and bring upon myself great chastisement.  I anguish over both the first alternative and the second. 

To thee do I run; be kind to me, my all-pure Lady.  Take advantage of thy motherly boldness before thy Son and God, and gain for me forgiveness of my former sins.  Vouchsafe me to be made pure and enlightened by communion of the Mysteries, and show me how to spend the remainder of my life in repentance, purity and humility.  Remain always with me in my thoughts, words and deeds, in all the movements of my soul and body, instructing me, leading me and guiding me, deflecting from me all hostile powers, and preserving me and providing thy servant, however worthless, with thy grace in every way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment