Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Thursday, October 22, 2015

"Well, that's just how I am...I can't do anything about it."

I shall repeat again:  Maintain the conviction that our disorderliness is not natural to us, and do not listen to those who say, ‘It is no use talking about it, because that is just how we are made, and you cannot do anything about it.’ That is not how we are made, and if we undertake to cure ourselves, then we will be able to do something about it.”  + St. Theophan the Recluse (from The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to It)

 

1 comment:

  1. I was having a conversation with someone less than an hour ago who said those exact words "that's just how i am" and it left me so discouraged because of how pervasive this way of thinking is. How reassuring St. Theophan's words are!

    ReplyDelete