Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Saturday, January 4, 2014

A prayer before Holy Communion

A prayer of St. Dimitry of Rostov

and advice from Elder Nazarius concerning it:


I advise you to memorize the prayer of St. Dimitry of Rostov, which is profitable at the time of communion, and whose words follow. Approaching with such thoughts and feelings, say within your mind:

"Open, O doors and bolts of my heart, that Christ the King of Glory may enter!
Enter, O my Light, and enlighten my darkness;
Enter, O my Life, and resurrect my deadness;
Enter, O my Physician, and heal my wounds;
Enter, O Divine Fire, and burn up the thorns of my sins;
Ignite my inward parts and my heart with the flame of Thy love;
Enter, O my King, and destroy in me the kingdom of sin;
Sit on the throne of my heart and reign in me alone, O Thou, my King and Lord."

With such good thoughts partake of the Divine Mysteries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment