Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Friday, May 31, 2013

Meditations of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk

We see the water of a river flowing uninterruptedly and passing away, and all that floats on its surface, rubbish or beams of trees, all pass by.  Christian!  So does our life…I was an infant, and that time has gone.  I was an adolescent, and that, too, has passed.  I was a young man, and that, too, is far behind me.  The strong and mature man that I was is no more.  My hair turns white, I succumb to age, but that, too, passes; I approach the end and will go the way of all flesh.  I was born in order to die.  I die that I may live.  Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom!
My poor soul!  Sigh, pray and strive to take upon you the blessed yoke of Christ, and you will live on earth in a heavenly manner.  Lord, grant that I may carry the light and goodly yoke, and I shall be always at rest, peaceful, glad and joyous; and I shall taste on earth of crumbs which fall from the celestial feast, like a dog that feeds upon the crumbs which fall from the master’s table.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment