Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Thursday, June 21, 2012

On self-justification

The quotation below dove-tails nicely with Dee Pennock’s writings based on patristic teachings in her book God’s Path to Sanity, published by Light & Life.  This is a down-to-earth, practical text on the teaching about the passions and how to overcome them.  After reading the book awhile back, it so spoke to me that I distilled the admonitions found there into a prayer that can be used routinely (which follows this quote).  Perhaps others will find it helpful as well.  Pres. Candace 

I see today everyone, young and old, tends to justify everything with a rather satanic rationalization.  Everything is interpreted for them by the devil, and so they find themselves outside of reality.  Self-justification is a satanic interpretation of reality.  Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain (Athos)

GUIDANCE FROM GOD'S PATH TO SANITY
(short prayers compiled from Dee Pennock's book, God's Path to Sanity)

Who can tell how often we offend? O, cleanse me of my hidden faults (Ps 19:12):

Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from pride and give me self-knowledge.

Lord Jesus Christ, forgive me and deliver me from self-importance.

Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from the pride of self-importance and thinking I know best and give me self-knowledge.

And, why do you call me Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?  (Lk 6:46)

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from self-justification and show me my sin.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from self-love and vainglory and give me love.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from believing and obeying idols.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from anger (and hatred) and give me love.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from hatred of life and self-destruction.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, deliver me from self-importance and willfulness.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, forgive me and deliver me from willfulness and anger.

·        Lord Jesus Christ, forgive me and deliver me from willfulness; and bring me into accepting, desiring and doing Your holy will.

Every time someone bothers you, pray,

·         Lord Jesus Christ forgive me and show me my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment