Orthodox Thought for the Day

ORTHODOX THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Saturday, May 10, 2014

For teens--a prayer for mom

A Prayer to honor your mom
By Kelli Mahoney

The Ten Commandments tell us that we need to honor our mother and father, but any Christian teen knows that it is not always the easiest thing to do. It is easy to honor our parents when they are being supportive and give us what we want. However, parents sometimes have very different ideas about what their children need or do than their kids do themselves, and those are times that living by that Commandment becomes a greater challenge.

It's important for teens to remember that your mom cares, otherwise, she wouldn't even bother to tell you what to do or how to do it. It is why sometimes Mom can be extremely supportive and cheer you on, and why other times you wonder why she's being so harsh. Still, why not take some of those good and bad times and honor your mom with a special prayer: 


"Lord, thank you for blessing me with my mom. I know sometimes I am not the perfect child. I know I challenge her a lot with my views and actions, but I also know that You have given me to her so she can love me.

I pray, Lord, that you continue to bless her with patience for me as I grow up and become more independent. I ask You to give her a sense of peace about my choices and to allow us to talk about the things that sometimes come between us.

I also ask, Lord, for you to comfort her and give her happiness in the areas of her life where she needs You most. I pray that You continue to bless her relationships and ask for her to have joy and success in the things she wants to do and achieve.

Lord, I also ask for You to bless me with wisdom, love, and understanding for my mom. I pray that You give me a heart that continues to love my mother and open up my mind to what she wants for me. Let me not take for granted the sacrifices she has made for me. I ask for You to bless me with patience in times when I do not understand, and the openness to show my love for her.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with my mother. I pray for continued blessings on my family and all the things we do for one another.  In Your name, Amen."


 



No comments:

Post a Comment